HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MC-117

avatar

Posts : 546
Points : 6944
Reputation : 18
Join date : 2010-03-04
Location : Afghanistan

PostSubject: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 pm

Being a Sniper is serious business. The role of a Sniper is usually to provide support to your team-mates against key-targets such as enemy Medics and Heavies. However, staying away from the front-lines does not make your entirely safe. If you are being compromised, you must be quick on your feet. This guide will show you how to be an effective Sniper

----- Speed Sniping----
If you are up against other enemy Snipers, which happens more often that you think, you have to employ a different strategy in order to stay ahead. One of the surest and quickest way to deal with enemy Snipers is by shooting them in the head, and its not that difficult. However, you must be quicker and more accurate than the opposing Sniper. Here is some tips to keep your aim true

1) Aways keep your cross-hair at head-level, if your opponent is on a different elevation from you. You should adjust accordingly.

2) Minimize your time on the scope, the trick to Speed Sniping is to always keep moving. This makes it difficult for the opposition to hit you. Probably the most ideal time spent on the scope is 0.1<2.0 seconds, However you must shoot the head in order to dispatch the other Sniper quickly

3) Use your cross-hair to make the bulk of the aiming. Aim while you move; not only does it saves the distance to move the mouse to your target but it reduces the time spent on your scope thus reducing the chance to receive incoming fire. Try not to use the mouse too much, use your D-pad to make fine tunes to your aim

4) DUCK! While Speed Sniping, it always important to keep moving. By ducking unpredictably, you make it harder for the opposition to snipe you back. If you are comfortable with it, try jumping and ducking while sniping. ( Pro-tip; bind toggle_duck with one of your spare mouse buttons )( Personal tip; Press W then A then S then D repeatedly, it makes you run around in a circle thus making you harder to hit while not moving around too much )

5) Use the environment to your advantage, always go to places with wide-open spaces with easily accessible cover. One ideal place is the Battlements in 2Fort, not only does it provide an open view but it gives plenty of cover, with corners that allow you to charge your shot without getting shot at

6) Wait for it, when a Sniper scopes and shoots. He has to reload his bolt-action rifle after every shot, while doing this; His movement speed is 1/4 slower than his moving speed for around 0.5 seconds, more than enough time for any Sniper to make a shot that counts. Therefore, always let the other Sniper take the first shot and use the delay to finish him off. However, the Huntsman does not have any penalty to movement speed after every shot but it makes the user 1/2 slower during the drawing of string.

7) Be tricky, always assume that the other Sniper is experienced and knows what he is doing. Therefore, you have to employ a variety of tricks in order to get the upper hand. One trick is to scope and unscope consecutively, this fools the other Sniper to scope therefore allowing you to take the shot after he did so ( See 6 ). Also, you can run around and make a series of shots on his body without scoping to make his health low. If done properly, the other Sniper would probably go back to find more health-packs or to the safe-room; giving you some breathing time.

Cool Keep yourself healthy. As a rule of thumb, you should always keep your health above 100. This is to allow around 2 uncharged shots to the torso before having to run back for health.

----- Proper Huntsman usage ----
Unlike the Sniper rifle, the Huntsman's arrows takes some time to travel. The arrows' flight path is affected by gravity and it takes time to charge your shot to make it fly further and faster. For beginners, it may be difficult to get a hit with such a weapon but with some practice. It can be just as deadly as the Sniper rifle.

The Huntsman is ideal in medium to semi-short distances, its not suitable for long-ranges as gravity would deviate the arrows too much and due to the time it takes travel, the target may have already been long-gone. Its also not suitable for short-distances as it would leave you vulnerable to incoming fire because as you aim, you move at half the speed.

The trick to using the Huntsman is to always aim a notch above the opponent, it is ideal to charge around 60% to maximize power over time-spent aiming. Also compensate for movement. If your opponent is moving to the right, aim more to the right as well. If your opponent is moving to the left, aim more to the left vice versa.

Its more easier to hit a target if they are on the same elevation as you, always try to look for more advantageous positions. Try to use corners to your advantage, it allows you to charge your shots safely and minimize the time being expose to incoming fire.

(Update)Always try to shoot where it is most crowded with enemies. That way, its more likely that you hit somebody.

Ask for a light! though light-lit arrows do not do additional damage on the intial hit; it would ignite your target (and earn your Pyro friend an assist)

Always keep yourself loaded, the Huntsman has only 15 (EDIT 13 ) arrows in total therefore it is important to memorize the location of ammo-packs. Also, it helps to have your secondary weapon as the SMG in order to deal with nearby enemies (or you decided that you are not a good shot with it)

Use corners to your advantage; charge your arrow as you turn to the corner; if you chance upon an enemy, you will be ready for him.

Strangely enough, players have a tendency to strafe towards the direction of your arrow subconciously

------- Spies, Bloody Ruthless! -------
If you ever suspect that a Spy is among your midst. Its important to check the area, there are different ways to do this;

1) Madly swinging your Kukri around, going for the corners or near walls.

2) Using the unlock-able Jarate to saturate an area with excretory waste products ( aka Piss ), revealing enemy spies both cloaked and uncloaked.

3) Using your SMG to check for spies with continuous fire

There are ways to prevent a Spy from backstabbing you, one such way is to always facing your back towards the wall; preventing Spies from backstabbing you. Another way is to use the Unlock-able Razorback to stop a single back-stab; and temporarily shocks the offending Spy, however it replaces your secondary weapon thus making you more vulnerable to other classes.
If you ever come with a face-off with an Enemy Spy, Here is what not to do :

1) Letting the Spy flank you

2) Moving backwards away from the Spy, this makes your hit-box lag in front of you (depending on server conditions) allowing for a "face-stab"

3) Using your Kukri when the Spy is out of your reach

4) Chasing after the Spy

----------- So much SPAM! -----------
Once too often, Demo-men and Soldiers would spam grenades and rockets towards your position for a free kill. Though you could not do much against confrontation in short ranges, you could avoid their explosive weapons. Try to use the environment to your advantage, being elevated above your opponents prevents area-explosion damage as they are unable to shoot the floor, Also try to avoid corners and walls when Soldiers or Demo-men are around as Soldiers can shoot the walls to prevent you from evading their rockets and Demo-men could plant some stick-bombs there too.
Your best bet against SPAM is to simply avoid their projectiles and wait till they are long-gone.

---------- OMGWTFBBQ ------------
Encounters with Pyros are dangerous, lacking any weapons that are lethal in short-ranges. You are specially vulnerable to Pyros, if you are unfortunate enough to encounter one. Follow this tips

1) When on fire, Run to the nearest body of water or use your Jarate to extinguish yourself

2) While using the Jarate to extinguish yourself, also try to nab the Pyro as well; this is to allow other team-mates to assist you in dispatching the Pyro

3) If there is no team-mates around to save you, use your SMG to damage the Pyro. If he manages to catch up to you, avoid his flame and use your Kukri to damage him. Hopefully, you would land a hit

4) If the Pyro switches to his shotgun due to his flame thrower running out of ammo, run towards him with your Kukri while avoiding his shots and dispatch him OR run away as far as possible.

5) Try to stay as far as possible from the Pyro, Shotgun shells hurt but the Flame-Thrower deals a lot of damage in short-ranges

-------- Frontier Justice ----------
Thanks to the recent update for the Engineer. The Engineer has become an even greater threat to you given his ability to take manual control of his sentry-gun and literally snipe you across the map. Though it can be extremely annoying how the Engineer lays suppressive fire to prevent you from coming out of your hidey hole, there are several ways to counter this. Here are the facts

1) In order to use the Wrangler, the Engineer must have visual contact with his targets

2) In order for the Sentry gun to actually hit the target, its targeting laser must not be obstructed by any obstacle

3) The Sentry-gun will become in-active for 3 seconds in the event of the Engineer's demise

4) The Wrangler makes Sentry guns fire 2x as fast and increase missile launching rate

Given this facts, here is what to look forward to..
A)Sentry-sniping B)Suppressive fire C)Mini-sentries
This is how to counter them

A) Given every player's FOV. Its incredibly easy to flank the Engineer while using the Wrangler. You could go where the targeting laser could not shine (2) OR go where the Engineer is not looking (1)( He won't move much due to it messing up his aim ). Don't worry if the bubble would obstruct your shot, it only protects the Sentry from incoming fire. After taking care of the controller, quickly tell your team to take out his Sentry (3)

B) Due to the Wrangler's ability to double the firing rate of Sentry-guns. Sentry-guns will deplete their ammo much faster (4). Its only a matter of time till the Sentry runs out of bullets and the Engineer has to reload in order to lay more suppressive fire on you. In the case of that happening. Quickly make your way out of the kill-zone OR take your shot. In the event of another Engineer repairing the Sentry. Run through the fire and look for the nearest cover ( avoid open windows as rockets can deal splash damage )

C) Though this happens very rarely, it should not be overlooked. A Engineer could literally sneak right behind you and build one of those Mini-sentries to take you out. Though the Mini-sentry does little damage, given the fact that it never misses, its still a hazard. If the Engineer is not present, take out the Mini-sentry with a half-charged shot. If the Engineer is present and he is harassing you, run for it. He will not chase you as without his sentry, he is pretty weak.

-------- Credit to Team ----------
The role of a Sniper is to provide cover for your team-mates, if you ever see a Spy going after your Medic/Heavy. Quickly take him down. If you see key-targets such as enemy Medics/Scouts/Heavies, make it your top-priority to take them out. If you ever see a team-mate on fire, use your Jarate to extinguish him. He would thank you for that. If you see a controller, Snipe him, your team will thank you for that. Also if you are sniping with a fellow Sniper, inform him where than opposing sniper hide into or where is the most immediate threat is. He will appreciate your sincerity.

(Update) Sniping Priorities

1st: Snipers:
Snipers are on top of the list because they allow you to cross an open space freely, and also present the biggest threat to you as another Sniper.

2nd: Medics:
Though Medics pose little danger towards your personal wellbeing, their ability to heal their teammates and Ubercharge makes its difficult for your team to advance

3rd: Heavies:
Being high in health and is able to riddle anyone with bullets from short to medium ranges; it is important to take out the Heavy as quickly as you can. Paired with a Medic, it is almost impossible to rid the Heavy ( only with a fully charged headshot ) when overhealed so take out the Medic first

4th: Engineers:
Though you may not find them out in the open; if you happen to chance upon one. Make sure that you take them out before they dissappear behind cover. A dead engineer would allow your team to destroy his buildings without his interference.

5th: Spies: If you happen to see a "team-mate" behind the front-lines and he is not attacking, he is a spy. Do yourself a favour and kill him before he kills your team-mates, if he happens to cloak, use your Jarate to reveal him so than others will finish him off.

*Conditionals*
(passive) Anyone who pose an immediate danger to you
1st: Enemy running away with your intelligence
2nd: Enemy approaching intelligence
3rd: Enemy standing on point
4th: Enemy pushing the cart
5th: Anyone who is a threat to your Medics

-------- Useful Information ------
The Forbidden Sniper Dance :
1) Crouch

2) Aim up

3) Scope in and out consecutively

The Huntsman taunt deals 500 damage, instantly killing anyone unfortunate to be caught in the arrow-thrust. It stuns the target on the first thrust and kills on the pull out, only if the arrow is still in contact with the victim's body. Strangely enough, another Huntsman taunt can counter the first Huntsman taunt. Just keep tapping G if you are a Huntsman user (EDIT) The Huntsman skewer is able to stun Ubercharged enemies; however, it does not deal damage.

The Jarate coats enemies with excretory products ( aka. Piss ) thus causing coated enemies to suffer from mini-crits (+35% of damage) after every hit. The Jarate is also able to extinguish teammates that are on fire and reveal Spies, cloaked and uncloaked. The Jarate has only one clip but it generates one over time, there is no taunt for the Jarate yet.

The Razorback prevents a single back-stab from an enemy spy, also stunning them in the process. The Razorback used to impose a penalty to movement speed however it was eventually removed. The Razorback replaces the secondary weapon and its effect is passive.

[UPDATE]
--------- Tribalman's Shiv Usage------
Along with the Scotsman Skullcutter, the Sniper received a new melee weapon called Tribalman's Shiv. Sacrificing intial hit damage for the Bleedout effect, the Tribalman's Shiv is the perfect weapon to deal with spies since you continue to deal damage during their flee.

The Tribalman's Shiv deals 3-5 damage per second over 8 seconds; which makes it just as effective as the Kukri. However, with the Jarate effect, the damage dealt is increased exponentialy (around Cool

Tribalman's Shiv = Huntsman with Deadringer

Fun facts (Sourced from TF2wiki.net)
The Tribalman's shiv is made entirely of wood. Since several plants from tropical areas possess anticoagulant properties (blood-thinners), the blade may be carved from the wood of one of these plants, (such as a Boldo tree) which would account for it inflicting a profusely-bleeding wound.

This is the only unlockable Sniper weapon that is a variant of the original weapon.

If a player bleeds to death, the kill icon will show whatever weapon the Sniper was holding at the moment of death. If the Sniper switches to Jarate or is dead, it will show a skull and crossbones.

Medpacks can't stop bleeding, but will still heal.

Cloaked Spies hit by the shiv flicker while invisible.

Awesome training maps! Tr_walkway allows you to train with bots, it has a visual panel that allows you to train yourself with against all kinds of classes. It requires sv_cheats to be on however. Download link : http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/107794

Thanks nafrey for tr_walkway rc2
Download link: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2217


Last edited by MC-117 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:06 pm; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : kig owes me gmod)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonblacksecretagent.blogspot.com
kigbariom
Admin
avatar

Posts : 727
Points : 7888
Reputation : -101
Join date : 2009-05-14
Age : 24
Location : India (I'm not Indian)

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 pm

That's actually pretty helpful
+ rep
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pgtf2.forumclan.com
TriEdge



Posts : 44
Points : 6308
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 24
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Hold on I thought a full huntsman had 13 shots? Your guide says 15 =/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MC-117

avatar

Posts : 546
Points : 6944
Reputation : 18
Join date : 2010-03-04
Location : Afghanistan

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Oh sorry, its 14. 13 spare arrows and 1 already clocked Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonblacksecretagent.blogspot.com
kigbariom
Admin
avatar

Posts : 727
Points : 7888
Reputation : -101
Join date : 2009-05-14
Age : 24
Location : India (I'm not Indian)

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:00 am

I thought it was 12 in your quiver and 1 our making it 13 total...?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pgtf2.forumclan.com
TriEdge



Posts : 44
Points : 6308
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 24
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Yeah think it's probably 12 in the quiver and 1 on the bow. Lol can someone just check it? =/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kigbariom
Admin
avatar

Posts : 727
Points : 7888
Reputation : -101
Join date : 2009-05-14
Age : 24
Location : India (I'm not Indian)

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:31 am

But that would require launching the game, when that would take too much effort. Sleep
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pgtf2.forumclan.com
Reginald Carl II

avatar

Posts : 281
Points : 6631
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-03-04
Location : Malaysia

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:19 am

Maybe 11 in the quiver, and 1 already on the bow. So that would be 12 total.

:O
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TriEdge



Posts : 44
Points : 6308
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 24
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Checked. It's 12 in the quiver one already on the bow. 12+1=? I can't be bothered to count =P MC tell us. 12+1=?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kigbariom
Admin
avatar

Posts : 727
Points : 7888
Reputation : -101
Join date : 2009-05-14
Age : 24
Location : India (I'm not Indian)

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:04 pm

12+1 is 18
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pgtf2.forumclan.com
TriEdge



Posts : 44
Points : 6308
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 24
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Lol Kig... It's 13 =/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kigbariom
Admin
avatar

Posts : 727
Points : 7888
Reputation : -101
Join date : 2009-05-14
Age : 24
Location : India (I'm not Indian)

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:15 pm

It was a joke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pgtf2.forumclan.com
TriEdge



Posts : 44
Points : 6308
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 24
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:32 pm

I was being sarcastic =/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kigbariom
Admin
avatar

Posts : 727
Points : 7888
Reputation : -101
Join date : 2009-05-14
Age : 24
Location : India (I'm not Indian)

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:23 am

So was I!

Double Kill!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pgtf2.forumclan.com
MC-117

avatar

Posts : 546
Points : 6944
Reputation : 18
Join date : 2010-03-04
Location : Afghanistan

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Its 13 arrows. 12+1 = 13 (3sf) Its simple math people Mad , not like you're dividing by zero
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonblacksecretagent.blogspot.com
TriEdge



Posts : 44
Points : 6308
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 24
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Lol MC. you're wrong again =/ 13 isn't 3 sig. fig. If you want 3sf then it's 12+1=13.0(3sf) apparently simple math isn't simple enough fer you tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MC-117

avatar

Posts : 546
Points : 6944
Reputation : 18
Join date : 2010-03-04
Location : Afghanistan

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:34 am

Apparently, there is no such thing as a half-arrow so technically I'm correct. However, in terms of the forbidden voodoo magic of Math; 3sf of 13 is 13.0. As with Pi, which is not a cake. If not, you are probably lying as in Soviet Russia; Sandvich makes you strong. Therefore, I conclude that...





Chuck Norris can divide by zero
The End
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonblacksecretagent.blogspot.com
kigbariom
Admin
avatar

Posts : 727
Points : 7888
Reputation : -101
Join date : 2009-05-14
Age : 24
Location : India (I'm not Indian)

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Holy kudelka
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pgtf2.forumclan.com
Reginald Carl II

avatar

Posts : 281
Points : 6631
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-03-04
Location : Malaysia

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:34 am

Elementary my good sir. If 3sf = 13.0 and the square root of pie is a cake, then I can solidly conclude that the cake is a lie.

This is point is derived from the quantity of icing that is on the cake, divided by the number of candles, and the rest is the number of toppings squared. Also, 2+2 = 5. In base 10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kigbariom
Admin
avatar

Posts : 727
Points : 7888
Reputation : -101
Join date : 2009-05-14
Age : 24
Location : India (I'm not Indian)

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:59 pm

kigbariom wrote:
Holy kudelka
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pgtf2.forumclan.com
TriEdge



Posts : 44
Points : 6308
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 24
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:57 pm

@MC Yeah there are half-arrows. Just break an arrow in 2 you'll get 2 half-arrows =/

On another note, if cake is the square root of pi, cake is not real. pi is not a perfect square.
Thus, cake being the square root of a value which is not a perfect square, cannot be real. Simple maths.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reginald Carl II

avatar

Posts : 281
Points : 6631
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-03-04
Location : Malaysia

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:01 pm

TriEdge wrote:
@MC Yeah there are half-arrows. Just break an arrow in 2 you'll get 2 half-arrows =/

On another note, if cake is the square root of pi, cake is not real. pi is not a perfect square.
Thus, cake being the square root of a value which is not a perfect square, cannot be real. Simple maths.

Mind. BLOWN.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TriEdge



Posts : 44
Points : 6308
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 24
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Reginald Carl II wrote:
Mind. BLOWN.

I'll take that as a compliment Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kigbariom
Admin
avatar

Posts : 727
Points : 7888
Reputation : -101
Join date : 2009-05-14
Age : 24
Location : India (I'm not Indian)

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:11 am

kigbariom wrote:
kigbariom wrote:
Holy kudelka
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pgtf2.forumclan.com
TriEdge



Posts : 44
Points : 6308
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 24
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:20 pm

kigbariom wrote:
kigbariom wrote:
kigbariom wrote:
Holy kudelka

Lol sorry MC I think I stole all your thunder. Haha TriEdge and The Thunder Thief tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)   

Back to top Go down
 
Sniper's Guide to Everything (under construction)
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Discussion :: Team Fortress 2-
Jump to: